Wesley's Blog

Monday, October 30, 2006

Changes - Part 2 - My Trip to NY

[This is a little out of order...as you can see in some of the pictures, I still didn't have teeth while we were in NY...see the previous post for the tooth update.]

That's right, I got to fly on an airplane to see "MY Grammy"! Mommy and Daddy told me I'd been on a plane before, but I didn't remember. It had been a while - something about me being too restless and Mommy and Daddy not wanting to make everyone on the plane "miserable"...not sure what that means.

I was very excited. I was telling everyone who would listen - flight attendants, other passengers, people in the airport - that I was going to see "MY Grammy!" Mommy and Daddy brought toys, movies and books. I took a nap and ate lots of snacks. We got off the plane the first time and I expected to see Grammy. Turns out we were in a place where there were lots of games in the airport that Mommy and Daddy said I wasn't old enough to play. I think it's called Las Vegas. Next time we got off the airplane, sure enough, there was Grammy waiting for us!

The first couple of nights were rough. I really wanted to sleep in the bed with Mommy and Daddy, but they kept telling me that it was too small. Grammy had a really nice bed for me, but I wanted to "cuddles". I screamed for a whole hour, but it didn't work. I had to sleep in that bed. Turns out, it wasn't too bad and I liked it a lot after that.

Grammy wasn't the only one I got to see in NY. Grampy was there and my cousins Malachi and Maryn...she is only 1 week younger than I am so I really had fun with her. My uncle Tommy was there but he was working a lot and we saw my aunt Dagny too. Oh, and I can't forget my friend Ethan. His mommy was roommates with my mommy in college. They live near Grammy so we got to see them a lot.

We spent a lot of time at my uncle Tommy's house. Grammy takes care of my cousins while Uncle Tommy and Aunt Dagny are at work. It took me a few days to get adjusted, but I was finally wanting to spend all my time at "cousins house". We played all kinds of things: shopping, art, basketball, scooters (yes, I learned to ride a Razor), wagon, cooking, wiffle ball (I've got a mean fastball), ...

Maryn calls Grammy "Who Who". That was a little confusing to me at first, but by the end of our visit, I was calling her "Who Who" sometimes too. Uncle Tommy called us "the church of 'Who Who'" because we both followed her around everywhere she'd go and she was the one we wanted to be with.

My friend Ethan is 4 months younger than me. He hasn't yet learned the joys of jumping and somersaults. I tried my best to teach him these things, much to the dismay of his mommy. By the time I left, Ethan was trying to figure out how to jump off the step from the kitchen to the family room...sorry Auntie Liz! We did have a great time playing Tunnel (I gave Ethan a tent and crawl tunnel for his birthday - one of my favorite toys at home) hide and seek and fishing!

Grampy's house was lots of fun too. His pond had some frogs in it - cousin Malachi got an owie trying to catch one. I liked to try to see them, but didn't see the need to catch them or even touch them.
I got to ride on his tractor, well actually, just sit on it. I was too scared to ride with Grampy while it was actually running. I had fun watching him drive it around in circles, though.

One day we brought Grampy some cider donuts. I don't know what cider is, but Mommy was really excited to get them. I'd never had a donut before, now I see why she likes them...yum!


Uncle Tommy and Aunt Dagny have a camping trailer. I got to go in a boat for the first time when we visited them. I got to hold a fishing pole and try to catch fish. Mommy and Daddy kept calling this thing on the end of my line a "bobber" and they didn't seem to concerned when I tried to "cast" (another new word I learned). I'm not sure how the fish actually attaches to a bobber. Luckily Malachi is quite a good fisherman so no one was counting on me!

We'll go back to NY at Christmas! Of course, I want to go "now"...