Wesley's Blog

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Visit from the Tooth Fairy


MY mommy tells me that lots of people have been asking how I'm doing so I thought it best to write about my last week in my blog.

If you haven't heard, last Monday morning (July 3) I was playing in the living room with Mommy and watching Chitty Bang Bang (my favorite movie). I was walking across the living room, tripped over my feet (Mommy calls them my "Barney Rubble feet") and fell into my Incrediblock (see photo of the offending toy at right).

When MY mommy picked me up she had me open my mouth. There was lots of blood and she could see that one tooth had come out. One was very chipped. MY daddy called his dentist. He said to put the tooth back in. Daddy didn't quite see how to do that, so we went to the emergency room...yes, my first trip! Mommy and Daddy said that I was better behaved than some of the adults in the waiting room. I started to fuss once we got into the special bed. Dr. Hakimi came in and put my tooth back in. He said the one next to it was loose too. I screamed really loudly. Mommy had to leave the room - she was crying too. A nice lady who was there with her sick husband gave me some stickers. The nurses gave me a puppet.

Every time I moved, Mommy and Daddy were nervous. They kept talking about how the tooth had to stay in. I could only eat oatmeal, yogurt and milkshakes (with a spoon). I tried to eat macaroni and cheese and bananas too, but it hurt too much. I couldn't use a straw or my sippy cups. That was hard because milk is my comfort at night and in the morning.

I still tried hard to be myself. I wanted to do my "Spiderman jumps" off the stairs (no, Mommy and Daddy don't permit that even when I'm not hurt) and play with balls. Here's a picture of me wearing Daddy's underwear the night of my accident. I put it on and told MY Mommy to "click". Of course, after I did that I made sure Mommy had a turn too.

On Wednesday July 5 we went to Mommy and Daddy's dentist. He put these funny white things on his hands - he even made a balloon out of one for me. He tried to play peek -a-boo with me, but it was too late...I was scared. He had a funny camera that looked like a pen. I guess he wanted to put it in my mouth to take a picture but I wasn't having any of it. We got a nice shot of Elmo's mouth, though. He said we had to see a "pediatric dentist".

We tried another dentist on Thursday. We waited a long time. I learned that cigarettes are "yucky" from a flier in the waiting room and drank a lot of water from the cool water fountain. Finally a rather unfriendly lady led me into this little room with a funny tube on a stick. Mommy said it was a camera but it didn't look like the one we click with. She tried to get me to bite on this white thing. She looked at MY mommy really strangely when Mommy said I couldn't bite down because that tooth had fallen out. She led us to this big old guy with white hair. I don't know his name, he never introduced himself. I'm not even sure what his face looked like since he had something covering his mouth the whole time. He said that all two-year olds are "uncooperative" (when MY Mommy told this to my daycare lady, Karen, she said that I am the most cooperative 2 yr old she's had in 30 years). He told MY Daddy to have me sit on him and to hold me while he looked at my teeth. He said the one tooth that had come out was dead and that he'd pull it out in 1 week. He said the he'd just watch the other one maybe it would come out later. He said that it would be at least a year before they could fix my broken tooth because I was uncooperative (that word again). When we left, Mommy and Daddy were talking about calling other dentists.

On Friday, we went to see Dr. Navarro. Mommy started talking to me about this dentist on Thursday night. She brought home a coloring book about my trip to the dentist. I really liked that and we read it over and over. Dr. Navarro's office had lots of toys. She let me play with them while she talked to Mommy and Daddy. Her assistant Veronica colored with me too. I got to see Mickey Mouse in their camera. Daddy put on his timer and he and I sat in the chair with these heavy bibs on. He said we could get up when the timer went "beep beep". Turns out they wanted to take a picture and we got up when they got the picture. I thought we were going to go home but then they strapped me to something they called a "papoose board". I'm really strong and broke out of the velcro twice. They rubbed some bubble gum flavored stuff on my gums and then gave me something they called a "shot" (but there was no basketball involved...that was very confusing). I screamed a lot. They brought me out of the room and I was bleeding a lot. I wouldn't bite down on something they called "gauze". Mommy had a towel that she put in my mouth. I let her hold it there like the day I fell down. Dr. Navarro gave me stickers, a toothbrush and a balloon. They also gave Mommy a small orange container with 2 of my teeth in it. I slept in the car on the way home.

I was hungry right away. I got to eat my stars and more yogurt. But, I couldn't get enough of those. I ate "lunch" (Mommy calls it "peanut butter and jelly") then we had chili and rice for dinner. I ate all of mine and some of Mommy's too. Dr. Navarro called to check on me. I could hear Mommy saying "MY Wesley is back"! She was very happy. Daddy was happy too.

Before we went to bed, Mommy showed me the teeth in the orange container. She told me about this lady called the "Tooth Fairy" who would bring a surprise if we left the teeth under the pillow. I don't quite understand it, but the idea of a toy sounded good, so I went along with it. Mommy also wrote a note asking that she leave the teeth. They're pretty "yucky" too, but I might want to show them off to my friends. Sure enough, as promised, the Tooth Fairy left me a small wooden train set. Auntie and I had a lot of fun playing with that on Saturday.

Now it's been a week. Daddy says that my gums are looking normal again. They say that I'll go back to see Dr. Navarro on July 21. I guess they'll let me go to sleep there for a while while they get more pictures, clean my teeth (I brush twice a day, so I don't know what that's about...they're clean), fix my broken tooth with a crown (I am a prince, after all, so it's quite fitting) and use some play-doh to make me some new teeth. Then 4 weeks after that my new teeth will be made and they'll wire them in. When I get to be 6 or 7 they'll take them out and my big boy teeth will come in normally.

Sorry for the long post. We need to preserve this story so I can tell my grand children.